What was once an old sheep farm nestled in the remote Fljót Valley is now Iceland’s most celebrated luxury adventure lodge. Deplar Farm’s off-the-grid location makes the all-inclusive hotel a destination in itself — everything I did was centered around the property and its lineup of customizable adventures.
Walking through the door of Deplar gave me that “wow” moment we all hope to experience when seeing someplace new. Floor-to-ceiling windows throughout the lodge showcase the surrounding mountains and the 13 en-suite bedrooms are designed with a homey yet contemporary flare.
Days at Deplar are done in a choose your own adventure format. From calmer excursions like Icelandic horseback riding through the countryside and whale watching in the surrounding fjords to heli-skiing off the top of mountain peaks and snow-shoeing to glaciers, the experienced team of friendly guides can lead you through it all.
There were many highlights from my time at Deplar Farm, but a few include:
- Watching the Northern Lights dance above during a spontaneous outdoor midnight swim
- Having Iceland’s Chef of the Year 2018, Garðar Garðarsson, prepare a feast of munchie food for a movie night in the theater room
- Jumping off the banks of a winding river into the glacier waters after kayaking downstream
- Biking downhill in the snow-covered mountains to a private lunch prepared in a beautifully refurbished cabin
- Waking up early for a private yoga session in a studio with floor-to-ceiling windows and valley views
- Napping by the fire in fuzzy socks after drinking some seriously killer hot cocoa
Tip: When you go, see if Ben is available to be your designated guide. He’s an outdoor enthusiast with a skill range wider than Davy Crockett’s and a warm personality that will make you want to invite him along for the rest of your trip.
When it comes to getting the best tips and tricks in air travel, there’s almost no one better to consult than a flight attendant. Unlike pilots, these airplane crew members spend all their time in the cabins and are front and center to any and all passenger experiences. Here are a few travel hacks from those who fly for a living.
For most of us, time in the car is “me time.” You can listen to that podcast you’re captivated by, blast that pop song and sing along at the top of your lungs or listen to the next chapter in that biography e-book you’re almost finished. A road trip only amplifies those opportunities. So, next time you’re traveling by road, take the wheel and take control. Opt for a rental car on your next vacation, rather than a rideshare, taxi or public transportation, and enjoy the open road on your own terms.