What was once an old sheep farm nestled in the remote Fljót Valley is now Iceland’s most celebrated luxury adventure lodge. Deplar Farm’s off-the-grid location makes the all-inclusive hotel a destination in itself — everything I did was centered around the property and its lineup of customizable adventures.
Walking through the door of Deplar gave me that “wow” moment we all hope to experience when seeing someplace new. Floor-to-ceiling windows throughout the lodge showcase the surrounding mountains and the 13 en-suite bedrooms are designed with a homey yet contemporary flare.
Days at Deplar are done in a choose your own adventure format. From calmer excursions like Icelandic horseback riding through the countryside and whale watching in the surrounding fjords to heli-skiing off the top of mountain peaks and snow-shoeing to glaciers, the experienced team of friendly guides can lead you through it all.
There were many highlights from my time at Deplar Farm, but a few include:
- Watching the Northern Lights dance above during a spontaneous outdoor midnight swim
- Having Iceland’s Chef of the Year 2018, Garðar Garðarsson, prepare a feast of munchie food for a movie night in the theater room
- Jumping off the banks of a winding river into the glacier waters after kayaking downstream
- Biking downhill in the snow-covered mountains to a private lunch prepared in a beautifully refurbished cabin
- Waking up early for a private yoga session in a studio with floor-to-ceiling windows and valley views
- Napping by the fire in fuzzy socks after drinking some seriously killer hot cocoa
Tip: When you go, see if Ben is available to be your designated guide. He’s an outdoor enthusiast with a skill range wider than Davy Crockett’s and a warm personality that will make you want to invite him along for the rest of your trip.
Once business concludes, a world of wonder awaits in many of Italy’s incredible cities.
ONCE THE FINAL MEETING WRAPS and the last contract is signed and sealed with a handshake, what’s next? Do you catch a flight back home or do you take advantage of the destination? If your next business trip is to Italy, we suggest adding a few more days to explore the country’s most amazing hot spots. Make time for more than a mouthwater- ing Italian meal in these three cities.