Picture a meal at a German restaurant in the heart of Bavaria. It would likely involve wienerschnitzel and a big pile of egg noodles. But if you’re vegetarian or vegan, you might be picturing an empty plate and thinking to yourself, “What am I going to eat in Germany?”
But with our tips, we will help you navigate the land of meat and cheese and taste the best cuisine Europe has to offer.
1. If you will be visiting a non-English speaking country, learn a few basic food words ahead of time. Make a list of meats, cheeses and other milk-based products and keep it in your bag or on your smartphone. Pull out your list and look for the buzzwords in the menu, and skip those dishes.
2. While you’re at it, learn the names of vegetarian and vegan dishes and keep a list of those as well. Find out which meals best represent the local cuisine and fit your dietary needs.
3. Research restaurants before your trip and choose ones that are vegetarian- or vegan-friendly. Be sure to include those restaurants on your itinerary so you will have guaranteed places you can eat.
4. Sometimes, even in the United States, you find yourself in situations where you are relegated to eating side dishes. That will be true of your travels in Europe as well. But eating a plate of fresh vegetables won’t be the worst meal in the world.
5. Whenever you can, do your shopping at a local market. Make a few meals in your hotel room or pack a picnic.
6. Stop and get snacks you can keep in your bag, such as fruit or granola bars. That way, if you end up at a restaurant where there isn’t much for you to eat, you can at least have some other options.
7. Ask the concierge or front desk staff about restaurants and cafés that offer vegetarian or vegan options. Since they are local, they will know the best places to eat, too.
Europe can be a daunting place to eat, whether you’re a new vegetarian or vegan or have been one for decades. But with a little planning and a spirit of adventure, you will have some of the best meals you’ve ever had.
Anyone who’s visited a destination known for its northern lights viewing during certain times of the year knows, just because you visit doesn’t mean you’ll be able to actually see the northern lights. A lot has to come together for them to be visible, and if the weather doesn’t cooperate, you might be out of luck. However, a new cruise aims to help travelers avoid the disappointment of traveling across the world just to be left lightless.
Whether it's the people, the craic (fun) or the coasts, travelers always find something to love about the island of Ireland. What fills your heart?
With the NFL season in full swing and games already booked for months, there’s more than one reason to look forward to cheering on your favorite team. What better way to celebrate (or mourn a loss) after a game than visiting some great bars within walking distance of these massive NFL stadiums?
United Airlines is in the midst of a major initiative to modernize its fleet over the next several years. After first announcing the plan in 2021, planes fitted with United’s signature interior are finally beginning to appear across the airline’s narrowbody fleet of Boeing and Airbus planes. United flyers are sure to notice these enhancements from the moment they step on board: Each new or updated plane sports remodeled seats, seatback entertainment screens for everyone, Bluetooth connectivity and more, all adding up to a better experience on every journey.
More and more travelers want to feel good about the hotel they stay in and the trips they take. They want to know their vacation isn’t harming the environment and local community they are visiting. These hotels go above and beyond when it comes to giving back to local communities, employees, the environment and more.