Global luxury travel network Virtuoso recently revealed the results of its annual travel forecast. The company deemed 2019 the year of ultra-personalized travel, with travelers wanting to experience new destinations in unique ways.
Virtuoso consulted with travel advisors in 50 countries to predict trends for the year ahead. They identified five main trends among upscale travelers:
- Motivation: Travelers are interested in sharing their travels on social media, going as far as requesting photography sessions to capture that perfect shot.
- Transportation: First- and business-class cabins are a favorite among travelers. VIP airport service, including private helicopter transfers, is on the rise.
- Accommodation: Unusual accommodations are increasingly popular, including everything from treehouses to tents in the Moroccan desert.
- Recreation: Travelers are also concerned with once-in-a-lifetime experiences like attending major events such as the Super Bowl or private tours of exclusive destinations like the Vatican.
- Conservation: Sustainable, animal-related experiences are a draw for travelers. Visits to animal-protection facilities or destinations to view wildlife are popular.
Other top trends for the year include multigenerational travel, adventure trips, river cruising, luxury cruising and celebration travel. The top five emerging destinations for 2019 are Japan, Croatia, Iceland, Portugal and Egypt. The top five destinations for millennials are Italy, Thailand, Iceland, South Africa and Australia.
Visit the website for more information about the report.
Dining is an art, and now that applies to both on the ground and at 35,000 feet thanks to Hainan Airlines’ “Hai Chef” Inflight Artistic Chinese cuisine series, a collaboration with Dong Zhenxiang, a Chinese culinary master also known as Dadong.
Calabria may be the last authentic region of Italy undisturbed by hordes of international tourists, but northern Italians have long adored this southern destination for its dramatic cliff-side beaches, flocking to its ancient shores for centuries of idyllic summer holidays. The region is rife with medieval mountaintop villages overlooking sparkling beaches, each a fantasy postcard setting, and here are five of the most enchanting.
For most of us, time in the car is “me time.” You can listen to that podcast you’re captivated by, blast that pop song and sing along at the top of your lungs or listen to the next chapter in that biography e-book you’re almost finished. A road trip only amplifies those opportunities. So, next time you’re traveling by road, take the wheel and take control. Opt for a rental car on your next vacation, rather than a rideshare, taxi or public transportation, and enjoy the open road on your own terms.
Over the last few years Airbnb has moved from an alternative lodging option to many people’s first choice for booking a place to stay. Despite its popularity, some people are still new to the service. If you’re using Airbnb for the first time, there are a few things to consider for a successful first stay.