Today marks a somber day in American history as we commemorate the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. We remember and honor the heroes who passed away, were injured and who risked everything to help on that September day in 2001.
Many of us can remember the way our nation came together after the heinous events of 9/11. According to Newsweek, following the attacks, a record number of Americans donated to various causes to help the nation, victims and family and friends of those taken from us. Nearly 75 percent of the nation made a donation to the more than 300 organizations created to assist in the recovery.
While there are far fewer organizations still in existence today, 9/11 Day is one dedicated to establishing Sept. 11 as a National Day of Service and Remembrance in permanent tribute to those we lost. For the 20th anniversary, the organization is inviting everyone to “Shine A Light,” by taking a moment to pay tribute by posting and sharing one act of kindness, charity or service in honor of the anniversary.
A number of other organizations continue to support survivors. Consider honoring today’s anniversary by supporting the following organizations:
- Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation: Established in memory of firefighter Stephen Siller, the organization supports the families of injured or deceased firefighters, officers, military members and emergency services workers.
- Tuesday’s Children: This organization supports the survivors and families of 9/11 victims, and has expanded to include those impacted by terrorism and traumatic loss.
- Scholarship America: Support the Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund to ensure those who lost family members on 9/11 can afford higher education.
- FDNY Foundation & New York City Police Foundation: Support the tens of thousands of firefighters and police who rushed in to help on 9/11 by giving to the non-profit arms of the fire and police departments.
- USA Cares, Inc.: Help improve veterans’ quality of life and prevent veteran suicide by donating and supporting this organization.
- 9/11 Memorial & Museum: Help maintain the memorial to the 9/11 heroes.
However you choose to commemorate today’s anniversary, together we will always remember and honor the memory of those who gave everything on 9/11, the day our world forever changed.
On Labor Day Weekend, I visited Blue Ridge Winery in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania, for a bachelorette party. Not knowing anything about the winery prior, my breath was taken away the moment we arrived. It was stunning. The beautiful view of the evergreen farm could be enjoyed from seating above on a terrace, below on a ground floor, on a patch of turf or under a tent. Our group made our way through the crowds to find a seat. There were many tables with firepits and couch seating, but all were already occupied. We were able to find seating in the tent.
With more than 6,000 islands total, with 227 inhabited, in Greece, the selection is overwhelming. Which one is perfect for your next vacation?
On your next visit to the Finger Lakes, add Wagner Vineyards and Brewery to your list. Unlike other spots in the Finger Lakes, Wagner boasts an on-site winery and brewery, perfect for anyone getting wine-d out. Visitors also have access to Ginny Lee Café, across the parking lot from the winery.
Destin-Fort Walton Beach, Florida, home to 24 miles of vibrant, lucid waters and snow-white sand beaches made of pure quartz crystal, is the perfect destination for an end-of-the-summer getaway. The destination offers an impressive line-up of unique experiences and outdoor adventures, both in the emerald waters and on land.
Prepare your taste buds for the trip of a lifetime in Greece. About 100 Greek products — from wines, cheese and fruits to honey and oils — earned a Protected Designation of Origin from the European Union, and the country’s most beloved dishes include Greek Choriatiki salad, tzatziki, souvlaki and moussaka, with its layers of eggplant, potato, minced meat and bechamel. And those are only a few of the many highlights.
Hyatt Hotels Corporation announced the debut of Thompson Hollywood, a luxury lifestyle hotel on Wilcox Avenue, near Hollywood and Vine. The 11-story hotel features 190 Mid Century-inspired guestrooms, 16 suites, a dining concept from Lincoln Carson, and Bar Lis, a rooftop lounge and pool with city views.