Although the days are short and nights are long in the United Kingdom in winter, the country offers an array of festivities and celebrations during the holiday season. As it approaches, England’s new lineup of festivities and celebrations brings the holiday magic through Christmas lit trails, charming Christmas markets, festive culinary creations and debut shows featuring British flair.
To capture the full holiday spirit, see a list of featured events and experiences in the country below:
Experience the charm of Christmas markets across the country, from Leeds to London; York, to Birmingham:
- Leeds Christmas Market, Christkindelmarkt (through Dec. 22) offers 120 Bavarian-style timber market stalls, an ice cube outdoor skating rink and artisan fairs
- Winter Festival at Southbank Centre, London (through Janunary 2024) transforms the banks of the River Thames into a winter wonderland with illuminated cabins, festive shows and global cuisines
- Winchester Cathedral’s Christmas Market (until Dec. 21) is one of Europe’s best Christmas markets, offering exclusive gifts from hand-crafted decorations to craft beer
- Dundee WinterFest at Slessor Gardens (through January 2024) is a magical Christmas wonderland with a Big Wheel, fun fair, ice rink and Bavarian bar for festive enjoyment
The Clarridge’s Christmas Tree with Louis Vuitton
Step into a festive wonderland at Claridge’s, the legendary Mayfair hotel, from the iconic Christmas tree to the breathtaking decorations. In keeping with its annual tradition, the hotel recently revealed the Claridge’s Christmas Tree, designed by Louis Vuitton, as well as a variety of events:
- Peter Pan Goes Wrong at Lyric Theatre, London (until Jan. 14)
- Coronation Christmas, Tower of London (until Jan. 4)
- Kingdom of Winter at the ExCel, London (through January 2024)
- Christmas Actually at Royal Festival Hall, London (until Dec. 11)
Festive British Holiday Films Showcase Britain
Film lovers can experience a bit of British culture and landscapes through various Christmas films featuring various locations around Britain including:
- Love Actually: A London Love Story: Filming locations include South Bank, Grosvenor Chapel in Mayfair, Trafalgar Square and Tate Modern
- Last Christmas: Christmas Eve in London: Filming locations include Covent Garden, Natural History Museum ice rink, Millennium Bridge, Regent Street and Piccadilly Circus
- Paddington 1 & 2: Heartwarming Adventures, London: Filming locations include Primrose Hill, Hatfield House and Notting Hill
Moxy Hotels and Sanctuary, a digital astrology platform, recently announced a year-long partnership with new Cosmic Curations. Using astrocartography, the Sanctuary app features free personalized travel date, location and companion recommendations tailored to Moxy destinations. Additionally, Sanctuary social channels and Moxy.com also boast astrology-based insights, travel-inspired horoscopes and interactive content.
Experience the life-changing destination of Greece by exploring its island gems in the Ionian Sea. Scattered off the western coastline of Central Greece, to the south of Peloponnese, the Ionian Islands are an island group comprising large and small islands.
To celebrate Black History Month, we wanted to put Grown Folks, the first female-owned and Black-owned brand for soul food-inspired hard seltzer and premium craft beverages, on your radar.
Hotel Bardo Savannah opens this month, bringing an urban resort and private club to Savannah and its Forsyth Park. New York City-based LEFT LANE transformed a 19th-century Southern Gothic structure into the 2-acre resort with 149 guestrooms and suites, Saint Bibiana restaurant, a spa, Camp Bardo for kids and a social club.
The Saronic or Argo Saronic Islands of Greece call travelers to explore its seven small islands and islets brimming with history, natural sites and more. With most easily accessible by boat, the islands’ proximity to ports of Athens make the Saronic Islands an ideal destination for those preferring shorter boat rides. In fact, trips from Athens ports to the islands take only between 10 minutes and two hours, depending on the island you choose, making them perfect for day or weekend trips.
Head to Tucson, Arizona, this April for the 16th annual Agave Heritage Festival. The four-day celebration highlights the cultural impact of agave in the region through spirit tastings, culinary events, educational seminars and other experiences.