It may sound improbable, impossible or just plain crazy, but packing everything you need into one carry-on item — regardless of trip length or destination — can be done.
Packing light can help reduce overall stress during traveling and save money otherwise spent on checking multiple pieces of luggage. Best of all, you can stroll right past the luggage carousel upon exiting the plane.
The key to fitting everything you need into one carry-on bag is to bring clothes that can be mixed, matched and layered with each other. Colors like black, white and gray can be paired with virtually everything and work in every season.
Here are some essentials to get you through any getaway while feeling comfortable and stylish without breaking your back hauling a heavy suitcase:
- Toiletries: Pack the shower essentials, as well as any necessary medication, eyewear and other items. Once the bare necessities are packed away, fit your clothes, accessories and shoes into your bag along with your toiletries to gauge how much room you have left to fit non-essentials.
- One pair blue jeans
- One pair colorful or black jeans
- One pair leggings (black, gray or brown)
- One pair shorts or skirt
- One dress, for dressing up or down
- Three t-shirts
- One knit top or sweater
- One to two cardigans
- Two to four tank tops, for layering
- One nice blouse or button-down shirt
- Pajamas, underwear, socks and tights
- One lightweight coat, depending on weather
- Shoes — one pair of ballet flats and a pair of oxfords, plus sandals or ankle boots, depending on weather
- Accessories — one or two lightweight scarves, as well as a few necklaces, rings, bracelets and earrings
- For the flight, wear the bulkiest pair of shoes you plan to bring — knee-length boots, for instance, take up a ton of room in a bag. Wearing an additional pair of leggings with a long t-shirt or sweater and a blazer saves even more room in your carry-on.
Read This Next
Best Luggage for Air Travel
DestinationsJun 2, 2023
Some of the World’s Most Awe-Inspiring Natural Phenomena: How You Can Experience Them
With Google searches for things like the Northern Lights increasing by more than 200 percent in the last year alone, it’s clear many travelers seek unique and astonishing natural phenomena across the world. Travel accommodation provider Coolstays compiled a list of some of the top sites to see the world’s best showcases of beauty.
United Airlines Celebrates its First Class of United Aviate Graduates
As the only major U.S. airline to own a flight school, United Airlines already hit a major milestone, and now the carrier celebrates another important — and historic — step as the inaugural class of United Aviate Academy pilots graduates, leading the next generation of aviators. The 51 students in the graduating class were majority, at 80 percent, women and people of color — another stride toward United’s goal of training 5,000 new pilots by 2030 with half women or POC.
Destinations / North AmericaJun 2, 2023
Luxury Skincare Brand Comes to Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC recently announced it collaborated with luxury skincare brand Grown Alchemist to introduce new in-room bath and body care amenities. This marks the brand’s next step in luxury wellness offerings at the hotel, which also includes partnerships with MASK and Lululemon Studio.
DestinationsJun 1, 2023
Adventurous Epicureans, Don’t Miss Mendocino’s Second Annual Urchin Festival
The second annual UrchinFest arrives to the Mendocino Coast June 16–18, celebrating the tasty, fascinating, but also invasive purple sea urchin. During the festival, two local properties, Little River Inn and MacCallum House, offer all-inclusive packages for adventurous epicureans.
Fill Your Heart with Ireland
Whether it's the people, the craic (fun) or the coasts, travelers always find something to love about the island of Ireland. What fills your heart?
Destinations / North AmericaJun 1, 2023
You Can Now Enjoy OLIPOP Beverages at These Miami and Los Angeles Hotels
Viral soda brand OLIPOP recently entered a multiyear partnership with several Miami and Los Angeles hotels, meaning you can now enjoy these delicious beverages from the comfort of your room or suite! SLS Brickell, SLS South Beach, SLS Lux Brickell, Hyde Midtown, Mondrian Los Angeles and MAMA Shelter Los Angeles, all part of Ennismore Hotels, now offer OLIPOP beverages within guestroom minibars, poolside and at each hotel’s restaurants and bars.